50 Questions to Start Conversations with your School-age Child
I always ask the same questions… how are you? How was your day? I was starting to get frustrated because the kids rarely would respond with anything more than “good”. So I decided it was time to switch it up. We needed some questions to start conversations.
As part of our 50 Days of Kids Yoga Instagram series, I started asking my kids unique daily questions. Some of the questions were meant to trigger funny answers, some were meant to dig deeper (without being “annoying”) and some were just out of curiosity; but, ALL questions helped me learn a little more about what’s going on in those minds of theirs.
Here’s a list of questions to start conversations at breakfast, after school, over dinner or anytime to get to know your family a bit more.
- How do you show someone you care?
- What is the most important thing to you?
- What do you like most about you?
- How do you stay healthy?
- If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?
- What do you want to be when you grow up?
- If you could change one thing in the world, what would you change?
- If you could wish upon a star right now, what would you wish for?
- What’s the best present you’ve been given?
- What has been the best day of your life so far?
- What’s the toughest thing about being a kid? What is the best part about being a kid?
- What would your superhero name be?
- If you were given $1,000,000, what would you buy first?
- What is something I always say to you?
- If you could make up a new holiday, what would it be?
- What would your superpower be?
- What makes someone a hero?
- What’s the first thing you think about when you wake up?
- If you were stranded on a deserted island and you could only have one thing, what would it be?
- How old do you think I am?
- What’s the most beautiful thing you’ve ever seen?
- What did you dream about last night? (Or what was your last dream?)
- What’s your favorite day of the week? Why? (Month of the year?)
- If you could eat only one food the rest of your life, what would it be?
- What makes you really angry?
- What makes you laugh really hard?
- What is your favorite holiday?
- If you could be a character in a movie, who would you choose?
- What’s the worst food ever?
- What are you really good at?
- What’s your favorite thing to do with me?
- If we could invite someone famous over for dinner tonight, who would you ask?
- What’s your favorite song?
- What’s your favorite subject in school? Least favorite?
- Spring, Summer, Fall or Winter?
- What do you love the smell of?
- If you could invent the most disgusting gum flavor, what would it be?
- What makes you feel better when you are sad?
- If you could go to the moon or go back in time, which would you choose?
- If you could cast a magic spell on your sister/brother, what would it be?
- Give me a random fact.
- Let’s pretend you are famous. What are you famous for?
- If you could pick one thing and have as many as you want of it, what would you choose?
- What would be the most disgusting pizza topping?
- Would you rather be invisible or be able to freeze time? Why?
- What do you think is the best age to be?
- What job do you think you’d be really good at? What job would you be terrible at?
- What’s one thing you wish you could buy but don’t have enough money for yet/aren’t allowed to?
- What do you want to learn how to do?
- If you could make up a new rule, what would it be?
So, here’s a start… hopefully you’ll find some interesting conversations follow!
And isn’t it better than, “how are you?”
Want a printable version? Click HERE!